Saturday, September 8, 2007

Sunday Special! - Young LKY 3.0


Haha, mysterious ways indeed! Now, back to my promise to share a revelation inspired when I drew a comic of a Young Lee Kuan Yew:

Most of you will have no idea who this bushie-headed guy cuddling a duck is:


He is Matt Groening. Still don't ring a bell? He created 5 of the 6 characters below:


Yes, he is the creator of Marge, Lisa, Maggie, Bart and Homer: The Simpsons!

Groening didn't start off with what is still considered the greatest television show on Earth. Back when I was a freshman in university, the campus newspaper was showing snippets of a comic strip called Life Is Hell. It's a really weird but lovable comic about a bunch of rabbits. These rabbits are very depressed -- their lives are full of misadventures and lost opportunities. But they made book worms like me laff out loud.



That helped Groening catch the eye of a tv producer. He was asked to create a series of short clips for a comedy show. But the tv producers do not want rabbits. They want human beings that more viewers can relate to (esp rabbit haters). The comedy show is history, but Groening's human creations went on to have a regular tv series of their own.

When I drew young LKY, I realised what was missing in my comics: human beings! Rabbits are cute, but no self-respecting adults will admit they like the cuddly creatures! Even teenagers, eager to show how grown up they are, will ultimately (albeit reluctantly) chuck little bunnies aside.

So you see, it is inevitable that the little bunnies will eventually evolve, like the wooden puppet in Pinocchio, into little human beings. I'm not saying Sir Fong 3 will suddenly be all about real kids (maybe I should consider), but definitely I must learn to draw more humans.
With that, I wish you a happy Sunday and may your End Of Year be smashing new records!






No comments:

Cover of Sir Fong 2

Cover of Sir Fong 2