There are several important elements to ensure the success of a book launch:
1. Returning customers - I have met people who've bought the first book in 2008, and came back to get Book 2! That always makes an author happy!
2. Former students - I did not ask many of my former students to come, as I plan to bring the new book to them. But some showed - from the army and before their university days begin. That was a bonus for me.
3. Get Help! - I got some of my friends to come down to help. Two former students also volunteered to talk to passing visitors. That got people to know about the books and they got excited about the possibilities.
4. Collaborators - behind each aspiring author aspiring to be the next JK Rowling stand many people who helped pave their way. I must never forget those who showed me the way, though the list MUST get longer and longer with every book!
5. Lessons learnt - my booth was blocked by a big commercial display, and I must apologise for not having deliberated more about my booth displays. I won't make the same mistake again in 2010!
6. Friends - who can do without them?
7. T-shirts! - many asked about the shirts we wore featuring Totto. We will be printing them for sale by 2010!
8. Did I mention returning customers? - I cannot mention them enough! This means people loved Book 1! And already I am getting emails asking about Book 3!
Thank you all for being a part of my life that weekend! There is much work to be done, but we've just gotten off to a great start!
Thank you from Sir Fong!