Monday, October 19, 2009

The Doom of Sir Fong?




Dear readers,


Sometimes, it seems pointless to draw comics in Singapore.


Why bother? Americans have the cultural advantage. They can reach millions via their superior technology ala Facebook, iPhones, Hollywood CGI and XBox. So Spiderman and Iron Man can be rejuvenated via amazing movies, and the franchise is kept alive by really cool toy lines.


The Japanese have their Manga. It's all the youngsters want to emulate nowadays. Japanese manga is drawn by armies of artists tapping into the winning formula of big doeful eyes and school girl uniforms.




I can't tell you how long it took for me to find an idea that the Americans or Japanese have not uncovered. From creating Totto the bunny in 2001, to publishing the first Sir Fong and finally redirecting the whole creation into Science adventures, it has taken me 8 years.


Yesterday, my friend went to Kinokuniya.

"I saw that they brought in this Manga Guide To Physics," He told me, "And I said to myself: oops, there goes Otto's monopoly on Science comics."

Was he almost gleeful when he said that, or was it just my imagination?



Today, another friend brought me a copy of the book. Her school is buying them. Shouldn't all schools snap up my Sir Fong titles instead? 

How can I, one person, fight an army of Manga creators from Japan?



It's moments like these that make me question the road I am taking. It's moments like these that  doubt creeps in, and suddenly one feels very tired and defeated. Yet, when I quit my teaching job, I knew my determination would be tested. 


I know I'm not supposed to whine. I made my bed so I should sleep in it. I should know the odds of reaching for the stars. I should strong and forge ahead. I should . . . but don't you have moments like this?



Hopefully, when I update this blog again, I have renewed faith in my path. Not tonight. But thanks again for reading my blog . . .




Love,
Otto

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the line that most people took away from that famous Steve Jobs graduation speech (Google for it if you haven't seen it) was "stay foolish, stay hungry". It's about taking risks; it's about not being afraid of failure - that's why it resonates so well in the 90% of people* who watch the video and who wish they could just have the guts to quit their day jobs and risk everything to do something they truly loved. You've already made it past that hurdle - don't let some competition stop you.

There's another line from that speech: "The only way to do great work is to love what you do." Don't stop loving what you do, ok? And don't stop doing what you do.

Take care.

* Figure entirely made up.

yjsoon said...

I think the line that most people took away from that famous Steve Jobs graduation speech (Google for it if you haven't seen it) was "stay foolish, stay hungry". It's about taking risks; it's about not being afraid of failure - that's why it resonates so well in the 90% of people* who watch the video and who wish they could just have the guts to quit their day jobs and risk everything to do something they truly loved. You've already made it past that hurdle - don't let some competition stop you.

There's another line from that speech: "The only way to do great work is to love what you do." Don't stop loving what you do, ok? And don't stop doing what you do.

Take care.

* Figure entirely made up.

otto fong said...

Hi Yj, thank you for your timely reminder! I will be addressing your comments in my next post soon!

Unknown said...

Hi there, no worries we are always have our dilema in times as we are doing things out of the norms, the more time you have the more you may think about it. I saw the blog that you went to school to advertise is a good way to promote your publicity. Moreover your stuffs is more related to their(pri sch & sec sch) syllabus hahaha so sure win the japan manga!

Anyway I'm Hoey Siang, a mass comm student that need to interview you(video) for my assignment on my theme "comic industry in singapore" and sorry for "this" abrupt and ridicurious approach. Cheers.

otto fong said...

Hi Hoey Siang, you can email me via otto.fong@gmail.com. Thanks for your words of encouragement, and I look forward to the interview!

Cover of Sir Fong 2

Cover of Sir Fong 2