Saturday, March 8, 2008

Buddy Buddy p33 + p34



I attended Qian Wenzhong's lecture today. He shot to fame after appearing on CCTV last March. delivering lectures on "Xuan Zang's Journey To The West on the television channel. The viewership of his programme hit an all-time high, and his subsequent books and dvd on the subject became huge hits.

I felt very lucky to be able to get tickets to this rare opportunity. As some of you know, one of my major dream is to create my comic version of "Journey To The West".

Above is a short excerpt of the talk.


Do you find the above icon familiar? It's one of Gary Goh's educational comic series, published under the banner of his own company Comic Studio.


I attended his annual 4th Comic and Chinese Education Seminar and found several teachers who are also like myself: insane teacher by day, mild-mannered comic artist by night.


For instance, Ms Ang Sor Cheng (pictured above) uses Slamdunk to get enroll her students into the language. I can see why her students would totally enjoy her classes!


Here's Gary Goh with one of his younger protege Vivian Too. She created The Comic Garden with some help from Photoshop, and Gary published her work for her.


There are other teachers who presented during the seminar. I got really excited at the prospect of like-minded individuals who wanted to use their comics to help create a more dynamic education system. Now I don't feel so alone!

Only with everyone's contribution, we can create a viable force in Singapore comics!


Now back to Buddy Buddy!

No comments:

Cover of Sir Fong 2

Cover of Sir Fong 2