Sunday, January 13, 2008

Announcement: My First Comic in English


That's a picture of me enjoying Taiwanese delights during New Year Eve in Taipei. AND I have new, regular posts from today onwards!


In 1996, my sister informed me that she is expecting her first child, a baby boy. My first nephew! Before that knowledge, I knew only I loved drawing and that I loved comics. The news that I will be an uncle inspired me to put two and two together, and I started on my first comic book project.


I started work on Buddy Buddy. I enrolled the help of Zu Liang, a Malaysian course mate studying in Beijing Film Academy at the time. He gave me valuable feedback and contributed greatly to the script throughout the process. When I showed the drafts to a dear friend Xu Tianduo, at the time a publisher in Youyi Publishing in China, he committed to publishing it!


In January 1998, the book became a realty. It is one of the first comic book created by a Singaporean published in China. The drawing and concept are raw, and I had to abandon the idea of a 'book 2' because of the economic downtown then. I still loved it.

As I am working towards Sir Fong 3, I will also present my first out-of-print comic book to you here, in English. I will make a post of two pages every other day from tomorrow onwards. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I enjoy that rush of finally finding my true passion.

No comments:

Cover of Sir Fong 2

Cover of Sir Fong 2