Sunday, January 24, 2010

How Western Parents Help Their Kids In Learning Science



A good friend of mine shared this link with me. It's a professor of Physics, Dr Kakalios, who wrote this book in 2006. He uses the stories of superheroes to discuss Physics with his classes. The result of which is a book shown above.

There is also a series of Youtube videos which showed him in action:



Wired magazine also did a story on him here:



What's interest me most are the comments following the article:

"I’m a middle school teacher who uses graphic novels in the classroom and would LOVE to use this book!"

"My daughter (she’s 10) has started going through my comic book collection and has been asking me if we can ever do what superheroes can do like fly etc. This would come in handy. It’s almost birds and the bees on physics for geek parents’ kids. So winning one copy would be absolutely awesome."

"Maybe I’d more interested in physics if my teachers used this method instead of trying to make memorize everything…. by the way, I wouldn’t mind winning one of those, it must be very interesting…. "
 Since 2008, I have been sharing with parents, teachers and students about how important it is to make Science interesting and relevant for our kids. These comments are quite similar to what the readers of my books have been sharing. So to my readers and fans of my comic books, thank you - we're on the right track!


As I buckle down to focus on creating the new book, it is great to see that while this is a road less traveled, I am still walking in the footsteps of great explorers - like Dr James Kakalios - who'd started on the path before me. Of course, that also means that I am going to have to make sure my works are the best I can produce!

1 comment:

otto fong said...

Thanks for reading! :)

Cover of Sir Fong 2

Cover of Sir Fong 2