Saturday, November 21, 2009

I'm a comic book artist. My dad's a comic book hero/villian!

For my "Sir Fong's Adventures In Science" friends, here's something else you don't know about me!






If you didn't Google "Fong Swee Suan" after reading my last blog, here's one more opportunity to find out: he is now a character in a new graphic novel (aka, comic book) called The Illustrated Men In White. This book is a illustrated version of the recent best-seller of the same title (below):






When New Paper reporter Lediati Tan interviewed my father and myself on 22nd Nov (Sunday), she showed us a copy of the upcoming graphic novel. I was thrilled!

You see, when I was growing up, I only saw my dad portrayed as some vicious, angry villian (see two examples below):



This image is taken from the excellent Morgan Chua's My Singapore, published by Marshall Cavendish. My dad is top right.





This image also taken from Morgan Chua's same book - my dad is in the middle.



You can imagine how bruising it was for a son to see something like that about dad (kind of like Luke Skywalker finding out that his dad is the galaxy's super villain Darth Vader - "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!").






Now, I saw artists Kelvin Chan, Chng Choon Hiong, Jonathan Roberts and Celesto Gulapa's portrayal of dad differently (Ng Tze Yong is the writer of the graphic novel). Well, he's still somewhat fierce-looking in some scenes, but it's pretty cool. I thank them!


So if you pass by the grocery store downstairs, buy a copy of The New Paper (22nd Nov/Sun). Or go get The Illustrated Men In White!





No comments:

Cover of Sir Fong 2

Cover of Sir Fong 2