Monday, January 11, 2010

This Monkey says: You have to let go of a tree in order to gain a forest.




(Click on the images to read the full article! - my thanks to Ms Kun Lai Leng
Senior Reporter, Feature Desk(Education)
of Sin Chew Daily
, Malaysia)

When I told my parents I'd quit my teaching job in Raffles Institution (RI), they were very sad.

They saw how teaching has made me a better person - less self-centered, more committed. They were very proud that their son taught in the top secondary school in Singapore. Hence their disappointment that I was leaving the school was understandable.

But my students never gave me up. Every year, they texted me and wished me Happy Thisday and Merry Thatday. We meet up for drinks, and they shared their dreams and achievements with me. Like them, I kept my own teachers in my heart often.


It's true that they were my student once, but I am their teacher forever.

So my commitment to my students does not end with a resignation letter. I still have stuff I can teach and I'm not about to stop.


I am still teaching Science - to thousands of Singaporean students. My comic books introduced Science to young people - they actually ENJOY a book about Science! 

Now, I am introducing Singapore Education to our friends in Malaysia. See the advertisement they put below my article? (For those of you who cannot read Mandarin, the title of the advertisement read: "Choose Singapore Education, Grasp Your Future"!) 

So, my dear ex-students, when I left RI, I took what I learnt and moved on to greater heights. The notion that teachers only "talk the talk" is not true. 

Your teacher is walking the walk, I'm sure you can do better!

 

No comments:

Cover of Sir Fong 2

Cover of Sir Fong 2