Sunday, October 14, 2007

Happy Hari Raya + My English Teacher

This is an old comic I did for Community Development Council (CDC) a few years ago. Since today is an off-in-lieu for Hari Raya, may all of you have a nice peaceful day at home!

Last week I chanced upon a little poetry project work in the Staff Room. It is really clever and for me, it teaches that we must sometimes be patient. If an important task needs one hour to be done well, we simply must put in that one hour of effort. Rushing things through may not produce the best work, and why bother producing mediocre work? The piece is by Koo Yi Jing, who'd graduated from our school by now.

(Click the image to read the poem)

The piece below is inspired by a vivid memory of my primary school days. The school bus had a flat tyre, so I got to school late. As I explained myself to my English teacher, I was very nervous and used the wrong word. I said, "the tyre broke!" Instantly his big palm descended on my cheek. I felt really wronged -- why should I be hit because the bus broke down? I was tearful but dutifully sat down. I didn't have the vocabulary to express myself properly then. Well, you know what comedians say?
comedy = tragedy + distance/time.





No comments:

Cover of Sir Fong 2

Cover of Sir Fong 2